In 1917, outside the parish of Fátima, Portugal, a 10-year-old girl and her two younger cousins witness multiple visitations of the Virgin Mary, who tells them that only prayer and suffering will bring an end to WWI. Word of the sighting spreads across the country, inspiring religious pilgrims to flock to the site in hopes of witnessing a miracle. Inspired by real-life events and starring Goran Višnjić (Beginners), Joaquim de Almeida (“Queen of the South”), Stephanie Gil (Terminator: Dark Fate), Lúcia Moniz (Love, Actually), with Golden Globe® nominee Sônia Braga (Aquarius) and Academy Award® nominee Harvey Keitel (The Piano), FATIMA has been hailed by critics as “beautiful and moving,” (Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun Times) and is an uplifting story about the power of faith.
Directed by Marco Pontecorvo (“Game of Thrones”) with a script from Pontecorvo, Valerio D’Annunzio (“Il Restauratore”) and Barbara Nicolosi (In Memory), FATIMA also features two songs from the world-renowned Italian operatic tenor and Grammy Award®-nominee Andrea Bocelli. The songs, “Gloria” and lead single “Gratia Plena,” which is a brand-new original song composed for the movie by Paolo Buonvino, are also featured on the film’s soundtrack album, which debuted at retailers nationwide on August 28, 2020.
BONUS FEATURES on DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Andrea Bocelli: The Making Of “Gratia Plena” – Watch the recording of an original song from the film, “Gratia Plena,” performed by legendary operatic tenor Andrea Bocelli and hear what inspired him to become involved with the story of FATIMA.
- The Vision of Director Marco Pontecorvo – A deeper look at the emotional and spiritual story as writer/director Marco Pontecorvo discusses the making of the film and the inspiration behind his vision to bring FATIMA to the screen.
- Meet the Seers of FATIMA – The talented young stars who play the shepherds share their experiences making FATIMA, life on set and what they hope audiences take away from the film.
- Meet the Cast of FATIMA – Discover the real-life characters portrayed in FATIMA as you sit down with the extraordinary cast who discuss their roles and the making of the period piece.
- The Making of a Miracle – An inside look at the reimagining of the historical spectacular “The Miracle of the Sun” depicted in the film.
- Behind the Lens of FATIMA – Go behind the camera with the crew of FATIMA as they reveal the filmmaking process to bring the inspirational and emotional spiritual drama to life.
- Set Design and the Art of Cristina Onori – A featurette showcasing the historic filming locations and how production designer Cristina Onori worked to bring this specific time period in Portugal to life.
- Costume Design and the Art of Daniela Ciancio – See up-close the process costume designer Daniela Ciancio took to bring an authentic look and feel to the clothes featured in FATIMA.
- DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- Movies Anywhere is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.
I will say I have never heard of these events before so this was all new to me when I went into watching the movie. Being of Jewish heritage, I did not know what to expect in terms of religion or if I would even understand the movie even. I also did not know if the movie would take a hokey turn with overdoing the thoughts that religious miracles can end a war.
I have to say that none of this came to fruition. I found this movie engaging and fascinating. It honors those who stand by their beliefs and pray upon them. The children are the real heroes in this movie and their messaging is very potent.
This is the sort of movie that the world needs now more than ever. It showcases the notion that all have to have faith and having faith is absolutely essential. It is absolutely breathtaking and the character development throughout the entire movie is flawless. Also the music is gorgeous including hearing Andrea Bocelli which will bring goosebumps to you as you watch this movie.
I give Fatima a 4/5 stars. Be sure to own it tomorrow on DVD.
*Warner Bros provided me a copy of this movie. All opinions are my own and not swayed by outside sources.*