Just last week, I had the fire department over to my house. I accidentally cooked a macaroni and cheese cup for my daughter, without adding water. I put it in the microwave, put it on for 2 minutes, and went to the bathroom. When I came back to my house, there was a fire in the microwave. Panicked, I automatically used the that I had on hand and went to attend to the fire. I also called the fire department, as I was alone that night, and wanted them to check out the house, before we retired for night.
Luckily we are very prepared for fires, but it never hurts to go over the safety precautions with your children yearly. Sit them down and talk to them about what to do in the case of an emergency. You never know when an fire emergency will hit and it is good to be overly prepared than not prepared enough. We have many fire safety products in our house including fire safety blanket, fire extinguishers, and smoke detectors. Yearly, I make sure all of these products are up to date in my household and nothing is expired.
While thankfully, I have only had to use my safety fire products once, I know that they are there in the rare case of an emergency. My daughter is very fearful of fire so I need to talk to her about fire all the time, so she does not panic in a rare emergency. A fire emergency is a very scary situation to be in, but one that can certainly happen. Be sure to have an effective fire safety procedure in your household at all times! Talk to your kids about fire…make sure everyone is safe! As the saying goes, “It is better to be overly safe..then sorry.”
*This is guest post. All my opinions are my own and not swayed by outside source.
What a great reminder! Even though I cook often, I still create a small fire on accident now and then and it’s always good to be prepared.
I had a small kitchen fire about this time of year 3 years ago. I had a falty frying pan that completely melted when I added some vegetable oil into it. It was a big smokey mess but nothing was truly damaged or anything, thankfully. Fires are scary.
So scary! I actually don’t really have anything in my house to help in case of a fire, I need to get prepared!
Amber Edwards says
This is such a big issue that needs to be continually addressed. We live in an area where we don’t get a lot of natural disasters to prepare for; but fire can strike anywhere. We’ve been working on these safety measures with our kids and you’ve just reminded me that we don’t have a clear EXIT plan in case our house was to have a fire. We have a “where to meet” once we get out of the house; but not a “how to get out of the house.” Oh goodness. Yes, we need to go over this again…Tonight!
My dad have been a fireman for over 30 years (and still is) having a fire safety plan was a huge deal growing up and we plan to continue the tradition once V is a little older, you can never be too safe. I am glad eveything worked out for you and there were no injuries.