Financing in the New Year!

It is that time of year where I start to sit down with my husband and think of ways we could come together to save some money in the New Year. Every year, I claim I am going to try to save some money, but then the next year rings in, and I realize that I failed on my resolution. So this year, I decided to really follow through in my course of saving money for my family.

One of the main things we are doing to limit our spending is to cut down on our credit card usage. Although my husband is excellent in making sure all our bills are paid and we are never go over our limit, I have vowed to make a conscious effort to limit my spending. I tend to be drawn in when I go to stores to open up a credit card. When I go to my favorite stores and hear the line, “You will save 10 percent by opening up Store A credit card today”,  I always end up succumbing. It is so hard to not want to save, but at the same time, having too many credit cards would negatively affect our credit rating. So, this year I vow to not open any more credit cards.

We also decided at the same time to not spend unnecessarily. I know this is easier said than done, but so far, I am holding up on my word. I am a huge shopper and one of my favorite pastimes is to browse the stores, or go to the internet to shop online. I would easily register for my favorite shopping sites, and wait for a notice of a sale, and off I went. My method of thinking was I was saving money by getting all these incredible sales. What my husband made me realize is that saving money on a sale is not saving money when you don’t need the item in the first place. This is so true! That sweater that I needed- it wasn’t actually a need- it was simply a want! I vowed to replace my love of shopping to those things that are needed, rather than wanted. That is not to say, I won’t shop for myself. If I said that, I would be blatantly lying to myself. Rather, I will arrange to have one shopping day a month. If I limit my “me” shopping time to one day and put a limit on my spending in that one day, I can end up saving much more than spending on clothes on a regular basis.

I recently found out about this great site, CareOne Credit that I would love my readers to know about if you are suffering from credit card debt, and you want to consolidate your debts. CareOne Debt Relief Services leads the industry in helping people get out of debt the smart way. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone!  CareOne Debt Relief has helped over 5 million people and they are there to help you too. The providers of CareOne Debt Relief Services emphasize the importance of making smart budgeting decisions to provide consumers with the confidence to manage their money successfully.  For information on bill consolidation  and credit consolidation, look no further than CareOne Debt Relief Services. The providers of CareOne Debt Relief Services treat their customers with respect and loyalty.

If I ever needed any help with my any of these areas, I would definitely use CareOne Debt Relief Services. Be sure to check out this site to help with your financing needs in the new year.

*This is a partnered post with CareOne Credit.  This post was written by me and all my opinions are my own and not swayed by outside sources.

PinExt Financing in the New Year!
  • vuible Financing in the New Year!
  • more Financing in the New Year!

Comments

1. artsavesyou says

We do not and will not ever have another credit card. That was a horrible experience , they got me sucked in when I was young and I still owe money.

2. Mrs. T says

I think promising not to spend on things you don't need is good, but actually holding to it is another thing and one should be able to pat themselves on the back for that!

{http://motherhoodandmoney.blogspot.com}

3. Sharon Martin Beck Valley Books says

Thanks for posting this, its something that we really have to start thinking about ourselves.

4. Brandy says

I think this is a great idea for sure. I am horrible at budgeting but then again up until just a couple of months ago we lived paycheck to paycheck and now are behind on bills. Thankfully we are in a position to actually now think about how we spend money and to choose spending more wisely because we have spending money. Thanks for this great post!

5. Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah says

Thanks for the great advice. I love the idea of just having one "Me" shopping day a month. Usually my me shopping though is stuff for my little guy!

6. Tamara Wilson says

Wow what a neat idea. I am like you I always work on saving then end up not doing it at all. So I am going to have to try this.

7. Heather says

We do the same thing every year – look at how we can cut expenses and reduce our dependence on credit and other debts… every year it gets easier!

8. erin says

I definitely try to save over spend! But consolidating debt can definitely help those who have lots of bills coming in from all sorts of directions!

9. {Not Quite} Susie Homemaker says

"saving money on a sale is not saving money when you don't need the item in the first place" <— THIS! It's such an easy concept but so many people have difficulty with me {myself included in the past} so yay to your hubby for pointing it out & yay you for really getting it! :)

10. DrPepperDiva says

Thanks for the post. The line about saving money on a sale is not saving money when you don't need the item to begin with made me chuckle a bit. It reminded my of my boyfriend's grandmother. She's the type of person who will go out of her way to save a couple of pennies on something she doesn't even need, lol.

Thanks for the CareOne Credit recommnendation. I think it may be something useful for me to look into.

11. Katie says

thats always good to know more about, everyone is always thinking about ways to save money, im going to have to go look at this more

12. Katie @ Domestic Debacle says

I got an error when I first tried to comment- so here I go again :) I'm not a fan of credit cards at all, but I am so glad you posted this information! Good luck with your new year's resolution!

13. Renée says

we are almost debt free with only one cc that we will be paying off this spring! I looooove to shop – but have learned if I cant pay cash for it, it isnt worth buying :) thanks for the post

14. Gumdrop Pass says

Thanks for the info, Melissa! I'm with you on trying to tame my shopping ways… ;) And I know some people who may benefit from consolidation — I'll be sure to pass the information along!

15. Nikki says

I've been pretty broke for the last year or so, so I've gotten really good at figuring out my needs versus my wants. I feel like I do need new clothes, but at the same time, I have plenty of stuff that still fits me just fine and isn't worn out. So really, do I need them, or do I just want something a little more stylish? It's a conundrum! Good luck on meeting your goals this year!

16. Kass says

I am totally guilty of over shopping. I try not to spend so much and I try to keep it to things that we really will use in the end. I think once we had kids that I really started to look at things in terms of wants versus needs. Seth gets mad sometimes when I buy the kids clothes a year ahead, but hey, it was off the clearance rack and they will wear it and I really don't want to pay full price for their clothes they will only wear a short time. I will say that I am proud that 3 of my 5 cards are paid off. One Seth is a joint holder and he uses for business and the other I need to get my butt going with paying it off.

17. Maryann says

Thank goodness I don't need any of those services, but we still spend more than we like. With therapies for my son costing so much and insurance paying little to nothing, plus supplements and special diets it becomes expensive quickly. I'm always looking for ways to cut back.

18. Henrietta says

I will never have a credit card, period. I know myself and I know if I were to get one I would overspend – with the best intentions! For those that do use them though, it's a great idea to budget with them in mind!

19. Michelle says

Thank you for a very wonderful and helpful article. One of our goals too is to budget better and we too decided we needed to cut down on the credit card usage, it is way to easy to spend what yo don't have. I will refer to your article a few more times to remind me of these tips :)

20. Heather from Our Girls Keep Us Moving says

Great goal for the new year! I am a sucker for unnecessary spending that I convince myself is necessary spending :) How I need to put that money in the kids college funds instead!!