Fire Safety-Kidde Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms! #RecipeforSafety

*This is a sponsored post with Kidde. All my opinions are my own and not swayed by outside sources.*

The holidays are my favorite time of year. The smells of cooking fill the house, and the warmth of the oven is so cozy. With all that cooking going on, I think it’s important to remember fire safety. The greatest instances of fatal fires are in the winter months, so it pays to practice good fire safety.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 4.09.54 PMFire Safety First

With all the running around we all do around the holiday season, it’s easy to forget things. How many times do we really stop and think to ourselves, “I should probably test my smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.” I don’t know about you, but my answer is a resounding never. It’s bad, but it’s the truth.

And it IS bad. Here’s a brief rundown of some disturbing fire statistics.

  • The number one cause of home fires and injuries is cooking
  • Winter is the deadliest season for home fires
  • Most fatal home fires result from a lack of smoke alarms or of non-working alarms
  • Almost five times as many of us know the shelf life of a Twinkie as those of us who know the operation life of a smoke alarmScreen Shot 2014-12-17 at 4.10.25 PM

Can you believe that? I mean, the shelf life of a Twinkie IS remarkable, but still. More of us know the expiration of a processed food than we know about fire safety.Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 4.09.30 PM

Fire Safety is Easier than You Think

Fire safety is much easier than you might think. It’s just a matter of making it a priority. Mark battery changing dates on your calendar and don’t put it off. And outfit your home in Kidde smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. While fires are a threat, carbon monoxide is no lightweight either. It’s deadly, and often times, people don’t know there’s a problem.

Do what I did and check out Kidde’s website. They have so much more for fire safety than just alarms. It’s amazing really. Be happy this holiday season, but more importantly, be safe!

I know last year, I almost burnt down the turkey and I have Kidde to thank for their smoke alarms. They rang to let me know that smoke was coming from the oven. Without them, who knows what could have happened! Thank you Kidde!

For more information, follow Kidde on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram today.


Be Sociable, Share!


  1. Jacqui Odell says

    I talk a couple times a year with my kids about fire safety. I want to pound it in their head what to do just in case.

  2. says

    Great great tips on fire safety. I need to be better and so does my husband! We’re moving to a new home in Jan and I don’t know the fire safety situation there… should have probably paid more attention!

  3. Cynthia R says

    My boyfriend’s father was a volunteer fire fighter, one of the first things my boyfriend did when we first started dating was buy me a fire extinguisher for my kitchen.

  4. Melissa George says

    i lovedf all the tip for fire safety. its always necessary to stay safe and have all the essential for fire safety ready on time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>