Life with Hayley and Zane- 22 months in!

I realized the last time I updated about life with Hayley and Zane, it was around 4 months ago and things have definitely changed. Life is beginning to get easier in some aspects, yet difficult in other aspects. I like doing these posts because it gives me a nice look back at how parenting two kids is, along each step of the way.

Zane is officially talking which has made my life much better! Before, he would sign what you wanted but there is really no substitute from actual talking. He now says, ‘Mommy, please cracker” “Mommy, please help” “Mommy, I love you.” It is cute to see his dialect forming and has helped me understand exactly what he wants.

However along with talking, he has become a lot more stubborn. If he does not get what he wants, he will begin throwing a full temper tantrum. I am fully aware of tantrums, as I obviously went through it with Hayley, but Zane seems to take tantrums to the next level. I am at fault sometimes though, because I give in to him. I know, this is the worst thing you could do, but I just hate hearing the screaming and crying. #MomFail on my part! I told my husband though this weekend, I am going to be a more strong mom. I am going to start implementing time outs and not allowing him to “rule” our household, which is kind of what he has been doing lately. I can’t help it sometimes because he is just too darn cute!

That is where the harder part comes in- trying to find the time to balance between both kids! Zane is requiring a lot of my attention now and so is Hayley. Hayley is a truly wonderful 4 year old (I am so lucky) but she wants to spend a lot of time reading books and playing games with her mommy. I don’t blame her one bit. I need to find a good balance to make them both happy. I know one suggestion I got was to devote Zane’s nap time to Hayley, but by that time, I need a break too! What I have been doing, is every night, spending a half hour to an hour with her alone. I put on Yo Gabba Gabba for Zane and we do our fun stuff. Usually it ends up being a game of Go Fish or a game of Toddler Monopoly, but the bonding experience one on one is truly wonderful!

Now for the easy part- THEY ARE PLAYING TOGETHER! I never in a million years would think that they would get to the point of playing together. However, a lot of nights, both of them go upstairs and play in Hayley’s room. I watch them on the monitor and they usually end up playing ring around the rosy or playing with Hayley’s toy in her room. I was afraid to let them be together without me on their backs constantly, but it has worked out well. I think they love the fact that they can have their independence without me monitoring their every mood. I even got to watch 15 minutes of my show in piece and quiet while they were playing upstairs. I love seeing them play together!

So that is it for now- I will be back at 24 months to update again my series, Life with Two Kids. In the meantime, here is a cute picture of the four of us on our recent ski trip:

74609 10151350707199356 1849457038 n Life with Hayley and Zane  22 months in!

PinExt Life with Hayley and Zane  22 months in!
  • vuible Life with Hayley and Zane  22 months in!
  • more Life with Hayley and Zane  22 months in!

Comments

That’s great that their playing together! It sounds like things are going smoothly – or at least as smooth as they can! Good luck with balancing your time with both of them – def sounds like a challenge. You can do it!

2. Audrey - Mom Generations says

Nothing is sweeter and better when your kids start playing together! I remember when we had 4 kids 3 and under. I was a walking zoobie… and everyone kept saying, it will get easier once they play together and start doing things together. People were right! Enjoy your beauties!! They’re so cute!!!!

I agree with carving out that one on one time for both of them. We do that when we put J to bed first usually. Love that they play together, how sweet! Mine do too which is great but both being girls it can sometimes end up in a tug of war over a toy :)

When your child starts to talk is such a great moment! Now I have two boys who could, easily, talk your ears off: one simply loves to talk, the other one does it with his silly squeaky voice (I call him Squeaky John Jones!). And I completely know how it feels when your babies start playing together! I still cannot watch a single show by my self….they usually bring every single toy to the living room and become as loud as possible!

My second seems to take tantrums to a whole new level compared to my first, too! Haha, he really is so cute! I cannot wait until my two can start playing together! It is hard sometimes to find the balance with two kids. I am still trying to figure that all out. XO

It sounds like Zane might actually fit the terrible twos cliche’! lol. My kids never did. They didn’t start that attitude until they reached 3. And now I’m pulling my hair out. Seriously how did I get through this stage with my two boys; because my diva girl is putting me to the test. lol. We usually ignore and walk away from Jade when she pulls her tantrums. It helps, but it is still very hard.

It is hard dividing attention. I have 3 kids. When the boys get home from school they both want my attention and that is when Jade wants EVERYONE’s attention. Some days it works, others…not so much. lol.

Cute! I am 2 years in with 2 kids and it has definitely gotten easier. We’ve gotten our school, work and activity schedules down. I just need to work on 1 on 1 time with each of them.

That is great that they play together! So many changes in such a short time! I cannot wait until I have a child of my own. My niece is about to turn 1 and it is going by so quickly!

9. maria says

That is such a sweet photo of the four of you! Love Hayley and Zane in their tubes. It’s wonderful they’re playing together! You do a fabulous job at balancing it all, Melissa! They’re lucky to have you as their mama! Xoxox
    Maria

Bailey and Tyler have started to begin playing together nicely too! Heaven, I’m in heaven…!! Such a welcome break! The sledding picture is adorable! I am looking forward to heading north at some point next winter to enjoy the snow!