Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

The mere thought of starting my daughter in soccer made me enthralled. I started soccer at a very young age so I knew once she reached the minimum age limit to enroll, I would be first in line to sign her up.

I went out and bought her own shiny new blue soccer ball and shin guards. My husband took her to her first game last Saturday and she was extremely excited when she got to pick her uniform. She picked the number 2, which according to her is the best number! So, the game started. They used Hayley’s ball to start and that is when everything went downhill. She didn’t grasp the idea that, in soccer, people are going to try to steal the ball away from you. Well, when Player X went to kick Hayley’s blue soccer ball, Hayley had a tantrum right in the middle of the soccer field.  Luckily, I was at work, so I didn’t have to experience the embarrasment of her flaring around crying for a good 5 minutes. All you moms know what I am talking about. Yes, it was THAT tantrum. When my husband came home, he told me the coach said it takes a while for kids to grasp the concept of a team and it will get better.

So yesterday I took her to her first soccer practice. I explained to her the concept of soccer in the most direct terms and off she went. Three minutes in she was hysterical again. Her exact words to Player X was, “You not being nice. You not sharing.” The minds of three year olds!  So, I used my next best tactic -bribery!  Yes, so I am that Mom, but guess what, it worked.

I told her if she let other kids play with her soccer ball and there was no crying, she would receive ten M&M’s.  To a 3 year-old,  M&M’s are like edible gold! There was not a single tear the rest of the practice. She then told the coach that she loves soccer and that the other kids can use her soccer ball. It’s baby steps but I think we are heading in the right direction. Game #2 this Saturday – stay tuned!

Here is Hayley on opening day before the actual crying started. Unable to get pictures after for known reasons:

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!
I am also guest posting on a great mommy blog  for tips about kids and brushing. Please check out her wonderful blog at http://talesoftwogirls.blogspot.com/
PinExt Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!
  • vuible Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!
  • more Why yes, That was my Hysterical Child on the Soccer Field!

Comments

1. Jessica @ TheCrazyChaoticHouse says

She is so darn cute in her little uniform! Good luck and I hope it gets better. And yes 3 year olds LOVE M&M's, we use them with potty training;)

2. LOVE MELISSA:) says

Thanks Jessica and Jamie! Jamie, I am actually getting my blog revamped next week- so button and new design is coming! Stay tuned:)

3. Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass says

Aww, that is TOO funny! :) I hope it gets better… but if it doesn't, it's still really cute and will forever be a fun story to tell.

BTW… your daughter is SO adorable. I love these pictures. She has such a great smile! :)

4. Michelle B says

Good ole fashion bribery works everytime, at least most of the time. ;)
    Jack loves soccer and thought abt putting him in, but I'm afraid we'll have a similar situation.

Thanks for visiting New To Mom :)

5. Erin says

oh my gosh, i can totally picture this scene in my mind and it's priceless. Bribery is seriously the best mommy trick in the world!

6. Mindy says

This brought memories of my first softball practice, my dad was one of the coaches and I was the little girl doing cartwheels in the out field. :)

I can't wait to put Ci is an organized sport. She loves kicking around the soccer ball now, but I can see her yelling "MINE!" when someone tries to take it!

7. Kristin says

what cute cute photos of her in her uniform!! she looks adorable! and I am so going to be that mom too… bribing with m&m's is my style! ;)

8. GrumpyJaxMomOf3 says

I LOVE this!! My oldest daughter played soccer for 2 years…. 4 and 5 years old. She actually did pretty well with the whole concept. Mt niece played on my team (Yes, I am that mom that got suckered into coaching). She would get so mad if someone hit her with the ball, she was scared to chase down the kid with the ball. It was great. One the other hand, I had to convince my daughter that the best way to steal the ball wasn't to push the other kids over….

9. Shelley says

That is so funny! I am SO signing my daughter up for soccer too! I can't wait to be a soccer mom cheering on the sidelines!

Too cute and funny! M and M's are gold! Lol and I love that ten of them seems like 1,000 to children.
    She is adorable in her uniform! That's awesome she's already into sports!
    Hope you have a fabulous Friday!
    Xo
    Maria

11. euregirlsandboys says

My oldest played soccer when she was 4 and 5, and she never liked it even though I wanted her to. We're trying again this year. It's so hard to get some of those concepts at those young ages though. I hope she ends up having fun with it!

And totally understand about the bribery – sometimes that's the only way to get cooperation. And to me, it's sometimes the best way to handle things in public unfortunately!

12. blueviolet says

I am just giggling like crazy at how much power chocolate has over females, and apparently it starts young!

13. Grumpy Grateful Mom says

She is so cute! I love bribery. A few years back I started my 3-year-old daughter in soccer too. She was the laziest kid on the whole team. Didn't even want to make the effort to run. I should have used M&Ms. :)

14. Nichol says

Awww that is sweet. M&M bribery always worked for me when Zoe was little,especially during potty training. Good luck to her and soccer!

15. Jennifer S says

So cute! I love watching the little ones play soccer. They are so polite! Watching them puts a smile on everyones face at our fields!

16. Lynsey @MoscatoMom says

Oh my gosh that is so cute LOL I can totally see my child doing that, except she would probably chase down Player X and shove her down, pick up the ball and storm off LOL

17. Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com says

I remember wanting to play soccer when I was young because my cousin did. We ended up joining softball together though!

Your daughter looks cute in her uniform.